Tadworth 1947

Tadworth Sept 1947


BTPHG member George Chaney has presented us with a photograph missing from our collection. An early Tadworth course photograph from September 1947 (course 8). Prior to this our earliest class photo was course 9, taken in November 1947. This was taken prior to the British Transport Commission taking over the nationalised railway. As can be seen the centre was called the Main Line Railways Police Training School. The name changed again and throughout 1948 and 1949 course photos show the name as the British Railways Police Training School. It is not until January 1950 (course 30) that the name changes to the British Transport Commission Police Training School.

According to Kevin Gordon’s article – A Brief History of the Training Centre, Tadworth – the first residential course was held in January 1949, prior to that “students had to travel daily and as there were no canteen facilities, had to bring their own food”.

George credits a friend of his who discovered the photo, along with two other BTP related photos, at a car boot sale. All three items are quite small (7 x 5″), printed onto card and laminated. Many thanks to George for adding one more piece to our historic record.

See also: The Official Opening of Tadworth, 1948.

Comments are closed.