On these pages are a series of research based articles which have been written by our members:
1. A Photographic Conundrum?
Steve Beamon examines an undated photograph and explains how he researches the details to find out: When? Where? Who? Why?
2. Arming the BTP
Dan Tanner examines the history of arming the railway and dock police forces.
3. British Newspaper Archives
An exciting project in Colindale helps to make historical research that little bit easier.
4. The Visit of HM King George V and Queen Mary
The year of 1912 saw the return of the Royal Yacht Victoria and Albert III when she brought King George V and Queen Mary to Cardiff…..
5. The First Railway Murder in Britain
The murder of Thomas Briggs by Franz Muller was an unusual one in a number of different ways and brought about many changes, both in public attitude as well as the law…..
6. The Brighton, Lewes and Hastings Railway and their Police Force
Kevin Gordon delves in the history of the Sussex railway and highlights one of its servants…..
7. Canal Policing after 1948
Graham Major looks at the canals, from a police perspective, after nationalisation…..
8. Officers in charge of the police at Southampton Docks
Viv Head tells the story of two well respected OIC’s…..
9. Honours and Awards
The story of the KP&FSM and the only railway police recipient…..
10. Honours and Awards (Part Two)
How Inspector Michael ‘Dan’ Tanner won the Queen’s Gallantry Medal…..
11. Southampton Docks Police, 1890
David Caplehorn reveals the results of his research into this well known photograph…..
12. A Brief History of the London Transport Police
Alfred Peedle combines some personal recollections with an outline of the history of this Constituent Force…..
13. A Brief History of the London Transport Police (Part 2)
Alfred Peedle continues his story with the formation of the British Transport Commission…..
14. Hero of the Charge of the Light Brigade
Before becoming a railway policeman William Nicholson was one of the ‘Six Hundred’…..
15. Henry Walter Mustoe – the story behind the picture.
He may have only served in the Midland Railway police for a short time, but his service to the country is without doubt…..
16. The History of the Scottish Railway Police
David Connor looks at the formation of the various Scottish railway forces…..
17. Safe and Sound – Stories of Emergency Response in the Tees Valley
An appeal for stories and artefacts of policing within the Tees Valley…..
18. Long Service And Good Conduct Award
The story of this medal’s first presentation within the force…..
19. The Force Crest
Kevin Gordon looks at the component parts of the force crest and badge…..
20. The Official Opening of Tadworth
Rare archive film of opening day of the police school…..
21. A Brief History of the Training Centre, Tadworth
In 2000, Kevin Gordon updated his article on history of the training school….
22. 120 Year History of Docks Police to End
We look at an article from 1985 on the closure of policing at Goole Docks…..
23. The Longevity of a Railway Policeman!
Kevin Gordon follows the career of an old timer…..
24. The Temperance Refreshment Room
Steve Beamon continues his examination of old photographs and discovers some interesting history…..
25. Murder on the Brighton Line
The murder of Isaac Gold – part of the ‘Murder in Transit’ series…..
26. Montague Edwin Rousham
Steve Beamon continues his examination of old photographs and discovers a sad tale…..
27. Southampton – Port of Achievement
Southern Railway Film Unit documentary about Southampton Docks during the Second World War…..